Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Feeling like Forrest Gump... "I was RUNNING!"

On Sunday, I finished my 1st 1/2 marathon on Mercer Island, WA. I signed up to walk, planning on running to each mile marker as soon as I could see it. My plan worked! I finished in 3 hours and 50 minutes; bloody toes and sore muscles in tact!
For a chronic asthmatic with a torn gastroc, this was a feat!
I am signed up for races every month for the next 7 months - only these will be BETTER prepared for. I walked a lot to prepare for this 1/2 M, but not nearly as much as I needed to.

I've learned a lot about my body and about the sport of running in the last few days. I learned about my strengths, weaknesses, and mostly - I'm very proud of myself. When I ran across the finish line and people were shouting at me, "GO RUNNER!!!!" something inside me had the energy to jump...but my legs didn't cooperate :) It was an amazing experience, and I want to do it again!!!

I gotta make this really clear: I could not have even attempted this without my Savior. As a teenager, doctors told me I wouldn't run, I may not give birth, and I may not live long because of my asthma. A year ago, doctors told me they had no idea what to do about my leg because they hadn't ever seen a muscle do what mine has done. Well, my God is bigger than asthma - and He's bigger than a torn muscle. Nothing is impossible with Him. I ran with Philippians 4:13 streaming through my brain. "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." And it's true.

When I crossed that finish line, something changed in me. I'm a new creation. My faith is strengthened, my outlook is renewed, and my hope is refreshed. I'm praising God for what He has done!!!

God Bless,
M

2 comments:

Bianca said...

CONGRATS! That's awesome :) I did a 1/2 marathon and vowed never to do a full... I'm such a baby :)

Bianca

thetrippychick said...

@ Bianca - Thank you!! I vowed to do 2 more this year - and Lord willing, I'll do even better the next time! Thank YOU for your daily blog; you are an inspiration and an encouragement. God bless!