Friday, March 19, 2010

12 years ago today...

On March 19, 1998 in tears, I got on a plane in Seattle, WA and landed a day later in London, England. For 9 months I was privileged to work with some of England's most amazing inhabitants. I spent a while in Glasgow, Scotland before being transferred to the Lake District, London, and back to the Lake District. The memories of that life-changing adventure will stay with me for a lifetime.

I experienced an amazing and passionate love like I had never known, the greatest and most unexpected loss of my young life, and that no matter who you are or what hand you have been dealt - you need to live your life to the fullest. 

I paid homage at Shakespeare's birthplace, walked on ancestral soil in Ireland, held a little lamb, toured all of London's theatres & marketplaces, wound through tube stops, marveled at castles, snuck through passageways at the Tower of London, dreamt my way through the West End, led a group of tourists through Covent Garden, prayed in the Bath Abbey, sang in the York Minster, and drank my weight in tea.

I climbed rock faces, sped across gorgeous lakes in canoes, spelunked in deep caverns, hiked rolling green fells, floated through fields of daffodils, frolicked on the top of a cliff, and changed my outlook forever.

I found out what it meant to take care of someone who relied on you completely, to let go of inhibitions that make your stomach weak and your heart break, and how strong I really am.

One of my most treasured life experiences - here's to an amazing 9 months. Rex, Bedie, Arah, Jane, Jeff, Anna, Matt, Dawn, Marion, Eileen, Sue, Jo, Scott, JP, Ellie, Tina, Rose, Nick, and many more...John, and the one who we haven't met yet - I love and treasure thoughts and memories of you more than I can say.

God Bless,
M

No comments: