Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Two 3 year old Blessings :)

At our first Zambia missions meeting this Sunday, everyone kept mentioning their sponsored children in Zambia. I had no idea that everyone was hoping to meet their sponsored children.  How exciting!  So...I went onto the World Vision website and prayed about what I should do; how many, if any should I commit to sponsoring?  I looked yesterday and prayerfully considered it last night. God hasn't blessed me with children yet, so the very least I can do is try to bless others' children.

My first instinct was to sponsor just one child, and for some reason, my heart was set on a little girl.  So, today, I went online and picked a little girl (let me tell you how gut wrenching that decision was, if I had the money, I would've sponsored them all.) Her name is Agness and she is 3.  She lives in a village completely affected by the HIV/AIDS epidemic.  Her health is unsatisfactory, but she loves to jump :) I am in love with her sweet little face, and God willing, I'll meet her in April.

After sharing my joyful news with a few coworkers, I felt a strong tugging to sponsor one more child.  I prayed, and asked 'if the money is there, I'll do it.' So, I got out the calculator, and did the math about the little raise I just got...it was .26 more than I needed to sponsor two children every month...so I went back into the World Vision site and found another 3 year old, this time a happy little man (complete with tie) named Saviour. He lives in the same area as Agness.  He loves football and helps with washing the dishes. I gotta say, I haven't even met them, and it's only been hours since I committed to sponsoring them, but I am elated about this. I picked little ones so I could hopefully watch them grow into healthy little people.  I will be blessed beyond measure if I can meet both of them in April.

In the diet news: I'm doing well, eating healthy, and somehow even lost weight despite my food frenzy in Cleveland. I'm going to work out lightly tonight, seeing as the airplane cold I caught is still taking residence in my lungs.

I made a decision to stop wasting food this year.  I'm going to try to stop frivolous spending, and focus more on giving to those who don't have as much as I do. Until February 6th, I'm not purchasing coffee, treats, soda, etc. I'll eat what's in my house, but not spoil myself with additional things that only lead to gluttony and laziness. It's important that we do all we can for those who don't have as much as we do - so I'm going to walk it out.

God has blessed me with a good job, a nice place to live, warm clothes, and a loving group of family and friends. I'm overwhelmed by my blessings and His goodness.  If you read this, I encourage you to take action too.  I chose http://www.worldvision.org/ - maybe you will, too!

God Bless!
M

No comments: