Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Here's to you, Mrs. L.

First week of student teaching is in the books, second week started with dog poop all over the floor, blocking my way out the door this morning. ARGH! dog! So I missed the first class and sat in the hallway listening to the teacher until the door was closed, then I sat listening to random students in the hallway. Two students actually discussed if they were in charge of "the empire" how would they change it - the girl said, "It clearly needs a race of cat people." YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP! Then, because my pal's morning started with his foot in a puddle of dog pee - i prayed for both of us, for better days, and for light hearts. And, because of the power of the internet and the magic of google - I searched for "clean funny memes" and then barraged him with what I found to be hilarious. It worked and by 9 am, the "waste" had lost the battle. WOOT

On Sunday, I found out that my very favorite teacher of all time had passed away in her sleep on Saturday night. She was the reason I wanted to teach. She believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. She told me once, "if I were ever going to vote for a woman for President, it'd be you." It's been more than 20 years since she said that, and it still has an impact on my daily life. I'm so grateful that my loving Savior saw to it that my teaching career could begin while she was still alive. I was only one week into my dream job when she made her exit from this world. I couldn't be more grateful for her influence in my life. She expected more out of me than I expected out of myself. She made me believe that I really could do anything I put my mind to. 

As a freshman in high school, I noticed that she had pictures of seniors who graduated and had moved on to bigger and better things. That year I knew I'd do whatever it took to make it under the glass top on her desk, MY senior pic had to be there someday. In the middle of my junior year, my family moved away and I was heartsick that my "senior pic under the glass top" dream was crushed. When my announcements arrived and my pictures were ready, I sent one to Mrs. Lawson, in the hopes that there'd still be room for me. I went to the FHS graduation and there was my favorite teacher, waiting to give me a hug. She took me down to her classroom and showed me that MY picture was under the glass. I made it. I wasn't even in her school anymore, but she kept me in that place of high honor. She wasn't just a teacher and annual staff advisor - she was a confidante, a mentor, a counselor,a guide, a friend. She meant the world to so many students and is the reason so many of us wanted to become teachers. I'm so grateful for influence in my life and the investment she made in me. She told our class ('94) that we were the game changes, the people who would revolutionize the world - and I'm going to do my best to prove her right. I love you lady. 

It's on my heart again that God cares about what we care about. No request is too big or small for His attention. He loves us and wants to be involved in every aspect of our lives. The God of the universe loves you, has a plan for you, and wants the best for you. He is your father, savior, friend, and counselor. He's the Prince of peace - let Him in every area of your life so He can give you peace, comfort, rest. The freedom that comes from complete surrender will change your entire life - and it's such a blessing. 

The pneumonia is almost gone but my brain is still wonky, please forgive me for a wonky-brained post. God blessand kee p you!!

-M

No comments: