Monday, March 5, 2007

Volunteering in Kendal, Cumbria

Pristine waters, rolling green hills, rock faces with real character...these are the picture of the Lake District. Londoners covered in brand new Timberland gear, anxious to wear out the rubber of their soles on a trek through moutainous fells find themselves sipping tea or shopping for more outdoorsy gear in one of Keswick's many shops.

In a district filled with hikers, canoeists, and cavers, the rich inhabit the bed and breakfasts, while the naturalists enjoy tents and hostels. I found myself in Kendal, Cumbria at the Barrows Green Holiday Centre, expecting to surround myself in the surreal beauty of the area.

I left America to volunteer for the CSV, Community Service Volunteers of the UK. Anticipating a new environment with different cuisine, beautiful accents, and a drive on the wrong side of the road, I flew out of Seattle for an eight month excursion to England. What I found was a rotating group of children needing round-the-clock care, the lot of them disabled in some form. In an ironic twist, my need for respite from my daily life placed me in a situation where I would be providing respite for those children who desperately needed a chance to be free and experience life as the rest of us may know it.

To say that my life was greatly altered is simply not a large enough statement. I spent hours feeding and cleaning children, bathing them and combing their hair. I changed nappies on numerous children each day, some that were my age. Was it disgusting? Oh absolutely. Was it exhausting living in the same holiday centre where they stayed for holiday? Without a doubt. Would I change it for anything. Never.

I was blessed to be on the outdoor team of the Centre. It was my job to assist the full-time staff in taking this diverse group of children on the holiday excursion of a lifetime. In their daily lives, these children would not have the opportunity to hike a fell or spelunk in a huge cavern...but with us, it was a reality. Daily, we took children in wheelchairs in canoes, caves, and up rock faces. We helped children with severe disabilities to abseil down rock walls, climb up district peaks, and explore the wonders of stalagmites. Not only was this a memorable life experience for those children, but for me as well.

I learned more about myself and the world around me through the eyes of those children. It is when we give of ourselves that we are most connected to our purpose. I may not want to work with disabled children for the rest of my life, but I will forever carry their ambition, determination, and can-do spirit with me in whatever I do.

I was exposed to the beauty of England, her experiences offered, and her giving people. I have returned twice to the country, and can't imagine not visiting again. The heart of England lies within her people, no matter their capability or social standing.

No comments: